Hollow Metal Door Slabs
A hollow metal door slab is steel door that does not include hinges or the door frame. Hollow metal door slabs are primarily purchased for replacing damaged hollow metal doors that still have a good door frame. Hollow metal door slabs can vary in size, style, hinge location, and lock location.
Hollow Metal Door Slab Features
- Heavy duty 18 Gauge steel is standard. 16 and 20 gauge is also available.
- Insulated polystyrene core is standard (R-Value 7.14, U-Value 0.14). Honeycomb, steel stiffened, or polyurethane cores available.
- Fire rated up to 3 hours is standard.
- Galvannealed steel is standard.
- Heavy duty steel cap is standard.
- Universal 4.5" x 4.5" Square Hinge Prep
- 7 Gauge hinge reinforcement is standard.
- Double baked gray rust inhibiting primer standard.
- Manufactured in the USA.
- Heavy duty door closer reinforcement standard.
- 1-3/4" door thickness.
Hollow Metal Door Slab Lock Prep
Hollow metal door slabs can be prepped the following ways:
- 161 Lock or Deadbolt Prep (Bored Lock Hole with 2-3/4" backset for use with any commercial cylindrical lock)
- 86 Mortise Edge Prep (Mortise pocket for use with any commercial mortise lock. Face prep by installer)
- Blank Lock (No Bored Hole)
- RPD Rim Panic Prep (Reinforced prep designed for mounting a rim panic exit device on face of door)
Hollow Metal Door Slab Hinge Prep
Hollow metal door slabs are prepped standard for 4.5" x 4.5" square ball bearing hinges with heavy duty 7 gauge hinge reinforcements. Continuous hinge prep available upon request.
Hollow Metal Door Slab Sizes
Hollow metal door slabs are available in all standard door widths up to 4'-0" (48") and heights up to 8'-0" (96"). Custom door widths and heights are available for quotation.
Hollow Metal Door Slab Certifications
- Designed and tested to comply with the requirements of the Florida Building Code including High Velocity Hurricane Zone.
- FL13889, FL17900, FL18463 Labels Available
- Meets or exceeds ANSI 250.4 and ANSI 250.8
How To Replace A Hollow Metal Door Slab
Any hollow metal door can easily be replaced by following our step by step process below.
1. Measure The Hinge Prep
All hollow metal doors may appear to look the same, however depending on the manufacturer of the hollow metal door, the hinge locations could vary by alot. It is important to match the existing hinge location of the original hollow metal door so that you can reuse the existing door frame. Below is an illustration showing the measurements of the hinge location. Hinge A is the measurement of the top hinge. Hinge B is the measurement of the middle hinge. Hinge C is the measurement of the bottom hinge. For hollow metal door slabs that are 6'-8" or 7'-0" have 3 hinges (A, B, and C). Hollow metal door slabs 8'-0" typically have 4 hinges (A, B, C, and D), where D is the lowest hinge on the door and A is the highest hinge on the door.
2. Measure The Lock Location
Next measure the lock location. On the illustration below, "E" represents the measurement of the lock location from the top of the door to the centerline of the lock hole. Depending on the manufacturer of the hollow metal door, the lock location can vary.
3. Measure the Deadbolt Location
If there is a deadbolt hole above the cylindrical lock hole, then measure the deadbolt lock hole location as well. The measurement for the deadbolt hole is labeled "F" in the illustration below and is the distance from the top of the door to the centerline of the deadbolt.
4. Find Your Door On Our Hinge and Lock Chart
Once all measurements have been accounted for, the door type you need can easily be found on the hinge and lock chart below. If your hollow metal door has hinge locations and/or lock locations that are not on the chart below, we can manufacture custom hollow metal doors with your exact hardware locations. For example if your Hinge A is 7-3/8", Hinge B is 37-5/16", Hinge C is 67-1/4", and Lock E is 39-9/16", then you would need a Steelcraft Style door replacement. For any questions or assistance in finding a replacement hollow metal door slab, please contact email@example.com