What Does Door Closer Size Mean?
Door closer size is door industry terminology for the door closer spring size. The bigger the door closer spring size or "door closer size", the bigger the door is that the door closer can operate. Door closer springs come in a variety of sizes and are used to close different size doors. The illustration below shows two different door closer springs. The smaller spring is removed from a size 1 door closer, while the larger spring was removed from a size 6 door closer.
Door Closer Spring Sizes
Door closers come in a variety of sizes ranging from 1 to 6. Where a size 1 door closer uses the smallest door closer spring and is often only good for 32" interior residential hollow core type doors. On the opposite spectrum a size 6 door closer uses the largest size spring and as a result can be used to close much larger doors like 60" interior doors or 48" exterior doors.
Fixed Size Vs Adjustable Size Door Closers
Fixed Size Door Closers
Some door closers are known as fixed size door closers. These door closers have an internal spring which is not adjustable. These types of door closers can only be used on specific door sizes.
Adjustable Size Door Closers
Adjustable size door closer typically have a large door closer spring. These door closers are are designed with a washer and nut at the end of the spring which act as an adjustable spring tensioner. Adjustable size closers are the most popular choice since the spring tension is fully adjustable and can be increased for closing bigger doors and decreased for closing smaller doors.
Door Closer Size Chart
Door closer size or door closer spring size can be determined using the chart below. Door Closer Size (Spring Size) and Estimated Door Width:
- Spring Size 1 Can Be Used On: 32" Interior Door Sizes, or 28" Exterior Swing Out Door Sizes, or 24" Swing In Door Sizes
- Spring Size 2 Can Be Used On: 36" Interior Door Sizes, or 32" Exterior Swing Out Door Sizes, or 28" Swing In Door Sizes
- Spring Size 3 Can Be Used On: 42" Interior Door Sizes, or 36" Exterior Swing Out Door Sizes, or 32" Swing In Door Sizes
- Spring Size 4 Can Be Used On: 48" Interior Door Sizes, or 42" Exterior Swing Out Door Sizes, or 36" Swing In Door Sizes
- Spring Size 5 Can Be Used On: 54" Interior Door Sizes, or 48" Exterior Swing Out Door Sizes, or 42" Swing In Door Sizes
- Spring Size 6 Can Be Used On: 60" Interior Door Sizes, or 54" Exterior Swing Out Door Sizes, or 48" Swing In Door Sizes
Door closer size is just another way of saying door closer spring size. Door closer sizes are available either as fixed door closer sizes or adjustable door closer sizes. For any type of door closer size we recommend Liberty Door Closers. These high quality door closers are trusted by building owners and professionals nationwide!
DISCLAIMER:INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THIS SITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU AS IS WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, AND WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT THIS SITE (OR ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED IN RESPONSE TO YOUR INQUIRY), WILL BE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, OR ERROR-FREE.YOU AGREE THAT YOU MUST EVALUATE ALL INFORMATION AND RESPONSES, AND THAT YOU BEAR ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH, THE USE OF THIS SITE, INCLUDING ANY RELIANCE ON THE ACCURACY,COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION OR MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS SITE.